As you may know, I am leaving on Friday to go to Kashmir, India. Kashmir is a beautiful state in Northern India, surrounded by some of the world’s highest mountain ranges, and has even been called “Heaven on Earth.” The people of Kashmir speak Kashmiri, and they are mostly Sunni Muslims. This area was once the center training location for Buddhism, and then it became Hindu-dominate. In the 12th Century, foreigners brought Islam, and Kashmiri’s became predominately Muslim, but they still held on to many Hindu practices passed on from their forefathers. In 1947, Pakistan was formed, and India and Pakistan began to fight over Kashmir, as strategic buffer state between China, Pakistan, and India. The militancy hit a high in 1989, and the Kashmiri people have paid the price for the “freedom struggle.” As a result, Islam has been more strictly enforced. My church, Kingsland Baptist Church, began supporting missionaries there, and we built a discipleship center in Jammu. The IMB missionaries there have lived in Srinagar, for about 2 years. They have been building relationships and working on translating stories into Kashmiri. I am anxious to meet them and work alongside them. They and the other women team members lead a Women’s Book Club, in which they have invited many Muslim women. I am hoping to get to meet these women and to talk to them more about Isa (Jesus). I will also visit a school and hopefully have tea with many of the families there. The Kashmir women have a custom of visiting the Mosque on Thursday nights. They pray for their families and for any other prayer requests they need to take to Allah. The missionary and her team walk around the Mosque. They meet the ladies and pray with them in Isa’s name. I am hoping to get to do this with them, and perhaps even share more stories with them about Isa.
I could go on and on, but the truth is, until I get there, I really don’t know what God has in store! I do know that He is working there, and my job is simple…. I just need to see where He is already working, and join Him.
I have listed specific prayer requests below. I will be leaving Friday April 24th, and I will return on May 5th. Please keep Chris, Chloe and Morgan in your prayers too. If possible, I will send updates while I am there.
I can’t describe how much your prayers will mean to me. Thank you so much.
Specific Prayer Requests:
- Pray that I will see where the Father is at work, and that I will join Him there – knowing that I can do nothing aside from Him.
- Pray that God will reveal Women of Peace to me – those in whom God is already at work in their hearts and that are friendly to the message and the messenger.
- Pray that I will bring light to darkness and that the person of peace will be drawn to it.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will bring to mind the things that I have learned when I need them.
- Pray that I will always keep a gentle and loving spirit.
- Pray that I will be prepared to give an answer to any question and objection that I might receive.
- Pray that I will be strong and courageous, without fear, yet wise and innocent.
- Pray that I will have spiritual eyes and ears.
- Pray that I will not worry about my family at home, but will trust God to take care of them while I am away.
- Pray for a hedge of protection around our team. Pray that we will stay safe and go unharmed.
Lastly, please pray for the women of Kashmir – that they may know the truth, and that the truth will set them free. Pray that they will be freed from condemnation and guilt. Pray that they will come to the only gate that will give them open access to God, and that they will know that they have been given this right by their Creator. Pray that they will understand that Jesus adores them and desires fellowship with them…. that they are declared righteous thru Christ, and that He finds them worthy.